- Wear dry cotton socks, and change them two or three times a day if necessary.
- Wear dry shoes that allow air to circulate around your feet (tight, enclosed, moist shoes contribute to fungal toenail infections).
- Wear shower sandals or shower shoes when you are at a public pool or shower.
- Don’t share shoes or socks with others.
- Don’t share nail clippers or nail files with others.
Try not to injure your nail, such as by cutting it too short (trauma to the nail may lead to infections).
Follow basic foot care guidelines and you more than likely can head off most common foot fungus problems.